Improving my writing productivity is my obsession.
If you have been following me on my social media platforms and on this blog, then you know that I love to learn and try new methods to improve my writing productivity. It was on this journey that I came across a course on Udemy titled Productivity Hacks for Writers (Writing Mastery) by Jessica Brody and it gave me such fantastic ideas that my productivity literally doubled by following her suggestions.
Really? What are these ideas? Can you give me more details?
While it wouldn’t be fair to share Jessica’s course contents with you, I can give you a hint of what were some of her ideas that worked wonders on my writing productivity:
- Did you know most prolific writers wake up early and have a productive morning routine? I have read about the morning routines of authors and creatives from various books but none of them worked for me. I remained a groggy and grumpy early-riser until I started following Jessica’s morning magic routine. The best part is her routine does not take much time and it makes me feel fresh, energized and ready to work immediately.
- Her ideas made me create my own deadlines so that my writing projects do not drag forever.
- It was after completing her course that I invested in a noise-cancelling headphone that changed my writing forever. Along with that, Jessica introduced me to an app that literally forces you to focus on your project. This one hack alone changed the way I write and my speed of writing incredibly. Now, when I write, I plug my noise-cancelling headphone to that particular app and put it on my ears. I don’t even raise my head till the app lets me know it is time for a break.
Who is Jessica?
Jessica Brody is the author of more than 15 novels for teens, tweens, and adults. Her books have been translated and published in over 23 countries. Unremembered and 52 Reasons to Hate My Father are currently in development as major motion pictures. Her first non-fiction book, Save the Cat! Writes a Novel (a how-to plotting guide for novelists) just released on October 9, 2018, from Ten Speed Press/Random House and she was kind enough to include me in a special launch webinar. She’s currently co-writing a space opera called Sky Without Stars (a sci-fi reimagining of Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables) which will be published by Simon and Schuster in March 2019.
The reason why I am introducing her is that there is this growing trend in today’s world where many people who haven’t published even a single book conduct writing workshops and teach writing courses. Unlike them, Jessica is a dedicated and prolific writer. I did not research her before buying this course but I fell in love with this course and I wanted to know much more about this fantastic author after my own heart.
Who is this course for?
However, you needn’t be a fiction writer. Her tips can help improve the writing productivity of all kinds of writers – bloggers, academic writers, students, novelists, etc.
View this course by clicking here: Productivity Hacks for Writers (Writing Mastery)
What can a person teach about writing productivity?
This was the only nagging thought in my mind when I bought this course. I have dozens of books on improving my productivity that it felt absurd to invest in a course to read about the same. Still, I bought it on a whim and it turned out to be one of the best purchases of 2018 for me.
Let me tell you why…
- Initially, Jessica makes you count your Active Daily Word Count. She gives you ‘The Writing Mastery Word Count Tracker’ spreadsheet and tells you how to use it to maintain a record of your word count.
- Then, she teaches you some hacks (i.e. ideas and tips) on how you can improve the working of your brain.
- After that, she gives you some hacks on how you can improve your writing space and make it more productive.
- Next, she gives you hacks on how you can have your devices improve your productivity rather than distract you.
- Lastly, you can apply her suggestions and see a marked improvement in your writing productivity immediately. My Active Daily Word Count doubled within a week’s time!
Click on the image to view the course I’m talking about:
I would never recommend any product that I haven’t used personally and gained from. If you want to make one investment for your writing career before this year ends, then let it be this one.
Among the millions of authors in the world, hardly 1% can be considered successful. However, if you narrow down that group and consider only prolific authors (i.e. those who have written at least more than 15 books) nearly 70% of them are successful.
Just like how writing better is important, writing more can also be a huge deciding factor for your success.
All the best!
(This post contains affiliate links. This means, if you use these links to purchase the course, I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. This helps me to continue making free quality content for you.)